When catering to a great number of people, I always buy in bulk and always end up excess ingredients that I hate when they go to waste. So I try to cook for our daily meals using whatever I have. In this case, I have buttermilk that I need to use right away.
So here you go…
Adapted from Better Homes and Garden
Bacon-Cracked Pepper Biscuit
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 slice bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, pepper, cream of tartar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk and the 1/4 cup bacon all at once. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing for four to six strokes or just until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter; reroll scraps as necessary. Dip cutter into flour between cuts. Place dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- If desired, sprinkle biscuits with cheese and the 1 slice crumbled bacon. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.